Dr Shehnaz Arsiwala is a speaker at SCFSA online Skin Health Symposium.
Topic: Comprehensive photoprotection for Skin of Colour
MD Dermatology, DDV (Gold Medalist)
Antioxidant Cosmeceuticals: preventing photodamage in the skin of colour
Photodamage is exaggerated by UV radiation, pollution, smoking, radiation therapy, alcohol, and exposure to heavy metals and some drugs.
The skin of colour is a challenge for clinicians due to high melanin content, high pigmentation tendencies, and limitations for aggressive interventions.
A multipronged approach that targets pigmentation, inflammation, dryness of the skin, and replacement of ageing skin cells with newer ones offers a simplified solution to delay the signs of photodamage.
Photoprotection formulations include UV protectors, anti-inflammatory agents, lightening agents, immune protectors, agents with anticancer actions, and antimicrobial and wound healing properties either as orals or as topical.
Topical antioxidants find their way into our prescriptions for two reasons, primarily to prevent ageing and secondly to minimize inflammation after a certain procedure like peels and lasers.
The advantage of various antioxidants is that most of them have skin-lightening properties in addition to their anti- inflammatory actions.
This is crucial for preventing photoaging where all three key mechanisms are at play.
The clinical use of antioxidants is increasing.
The use for these cosmeceuticals is either as a single agent or in combinations.
Skin of color is a challenge to treat due to a lack of ability to use aggressive modalities, Pigmentation especially if photodamage mediated as well as after interventions like lasers and peels, under-eye pigmentation, and post-acne pigmented macules are common clinical indications for using antioxidant cosmeceuticals with special focus on prevention and long term maintenance.
Renewderm Skin Hair Lasers Aesthetics Centre, Mumbai, India
Dermatologist, Cosmetic dermatosurgeon and laser specialist
University Of Bombay
College Of Physicians And Surgeons of Bombay
Dermatology and Venereology (Gold Medal)
Dr Shehnaz Arsiwala History and accolades
College of Physicians and Surgeons of Bombay
MD (Dermatology): Date of Passing – January 1996
College – Topiwala National Medical College
University – Bombay University
Registration No. : 69134
Name – Maharashtra Medical Council
Year – June 30, 1992
Additional qualification- MD (skin diseases)
Registration number- 69134
Maharashtra Medical Council
MD, DDV (gold medalist)
• Dr shehnaz is a Dermatologist, Cosmetic dermatosurgeon and laser specialist – who runs the RENEWDERM SKIN HAIR LASERS AESTHETICS CENTRE AT MAZGAON , MUMBAI , INDIA
• ALSO A honorary consultant at Prince Aly Khan and SAIFEE hospital
• Clinical practice for the last 24 years
Areas of Expertise:
• LASER EXPERIENCE of 21 years includes hair removal multiple technologies, Q switched Nd : YAG lasers, fractional ablative Erbium: YAG resurfacing and fractional carbon dioxide laser, 308 excimer systems, near-infrared skin tightening. Radio frequency microneedle and skin tightening experience, high intensity focused ultrasound technology, hair restoration techniques like PRP, and Autologous micrografts.
• CHEMICAL PEELS for which she has conducted numerous workshops and invited lectures across the country for national and international conferences
• She has more than 3 dozen INTERNATIONAL PRESENTATIONS on combinations of chemical peels, lasers and energy-based devices, fillers, botulinum toxin, HIFU, acne scars, non acne facial scars, pigmented lesions, etc in the last 10 years at DASIL, THE EADV, AAD, WCD, and ESCAD as well as NATIONAL IADVL and ACSI, CDSI , AESTHETICS, FACE AESTHETICS, IMA workshops and conferences over last 8 years
• On EDITORIAL BOARD for CASE BOOK OF DERMATOLOGY an IJCP publication 2011. She has co-edited and authored chapters in BOOK ON PSORIASIS released in 2010 and authored a chapter in BOOK ON STEP BY STEP CHEMICAL PEELING.
• She is a reviewer for INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF COSMETIC DERMATOLOGY, JOURNAL OF CUTANEOUS AND AESTHETIC SURGEONS AND INDIAN DERMATOLOGY ONLINE JOURNAL, INDIAN JOURNAL OF Paediatric DERMATOLOGY, INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF PHARMACOLOGY, INDIAN JOURNAL OF DERMATOLOGY ETC
• She has authored multiple articles and modules on ACNE, ACNE SCARS, FILLERS, infliximab in psoriasis, interventions for difficult acne and scars, complications of procedures and cosmeceuticals, fillers for volumetric rejuvenation and
• has conducted and participated in numerous clinical trials on acne formulations, cleansers, antibacterial studies in acne, pigmentation, wrinkles, and fillers with national and international publications.
• EDITOR-IN-CHIEF – JOURNAL OF CUTANEOUS AND AESTHETIC SURGERY
• CURRENTLY MEMBER IADVL ACADEMY – SPECIAL INTEREST GROUPS(SIG)- LASERS AND AESTHETICS 2018-19
• PAST COORDINATOR IADVL ACADEMY – SPECIAL INTEREST GROUPS(SIG)- LASERS AND AESTHETICS 2016-18
• PAST CONVENER IADVL- SPECIAL INTEREST GROUPS(SIG)- LASERS AND AESTHETICS INDIA 2013-15
• COORDINATOR FOCUS GROUPS – AESTHETICS: ASSOCIATION OF CUTANEOUS SURGEONS OF INDIA (ACSI)
• CHIEF EDITOR FOR NEWSLETTER ON SPECIAL INTEREST GROUPS(SIG)- LASERS AND AESTHETICS
• ASSOCIATE EDITOR OF- JOURNAL OF CUTANEOUS AND AESTHETIC SURGERY
• SUB SECTION EDITOR OF INDIAN DERMATOLOGY ONLINE JOURNAL
• PAST GENERAL SECRETARY -COSMETIC DERMATOLOGY SOCIETY OF INDIA)CDSI)
• ORGANIZING CO SECRETARY CDSI CONFERENCE – 3 COSDERMINDIA MUMBAI 2007, MUMBAI, 2008 MUMBAI, 2009 HYD
• COFOUNDER OF SOBODERMA, MUMBAI INDIA
Publications and books:
More than 100 in national and international journals, Editor of IADVL HANDBOOK OF AESTHETIC PROCEDURES 2021
- Subsection editor of Indian Dermatology Online Journal
- Past General Secretary – Cosmetic Dermatology Society of India CDSI
- Organizing co-secretary CDSI conference – 3 Cosdemindia 2007,2008 & HYD 2009
- Co-founder of Soboderma Mumbai, India
- Life Memberships of Various Associations and posts:
- LIFE MEMBER OF IADVL
- ASSOCIATION OF MEDICAL CONSULTANTS
- ACSI, COORDINATOR OF FOCUS GROUP AESTHETICS ACSI
- MEMBER OF PIGMENTED DERMATOLOGY SOCIETY INDIA
Active Participation: papers and awards
TOP 50 AESTHETIC DERMATOLOGIST OF INDIA, INTERNATIONAL AESTHETICS JOURNAL 2020, MAY JUNE ISSUE
. TOP MUMBAI DOCS ( DERMATOLOGIST) AWARD JULY 2019 BY INDIA TODAY, AND DEC 2019 OUTLOOK MAGAZINE, JULY 2020 INDIA TODAY
• MUMBAI TOP DOCS AWARD 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 BY INDIA TODAY
• SILICON INDIA AWARD 2018 FOR 20 OUTSTANDING DERMATOLOGY CLINICS IN INDIA
• ASSOCIATION OF CUTANEOUS SURGEONS OF INDIA AWARS FOR OUTSTANDING CONTRIBUTION IN FILED OF AESTHETIC DERMATOLOGY- 2018
• RECEPIENT OF THE 50 OUTSTANDING WOMEN IN GLOBAL HEALTH CARE ASIA- 2017
• RECEPIENT OF OUTSTANDING CONTRIBUTION IN SIG LASERS AND AESTHETICS 2013-16, PRESIDENTS APPRECIATION AWARD
• RECEPEIENT OF ACAD EXPERT CERTIFICATE FOR OUTSTANDING ACADEMIC CONTRIBUTION IN BOTOX AND FILLERS 2016
• RECEPIENT OF THE GIANTS GROUP OF BYCULLA, OUTSTANDING DERMATOLOGIST AWARDS 2000